Cornerstone is a $5M agency with approximately 90 employees. Our organization serves individuals impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking, with office locations in Bloomington, Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Center.
Cornerstone has developed one of the most comprehensive service continuums for victims of violence in Minnesota. Our services are designed to move individuals and families from crisis to safety, stabilization and security. Last year approximately 4,000 individuals accessed Cornerstone programming. In addition, through Cornerstone’s statewide Day One Crisis and Crime Victim Support lines, we provided services to over 20,000 persons via phone, text and chat. We are committed to providing opportunities for others to partner with us in this work and to convey, as a community, zero-tolerance for violence.
The Civil/Criminal Justice Intervention Advocate provides civil and criminal legal advocacy services to victim/survivor of domestic abuse sexual assault and human trafficking in a knowledgeable, empathetic manner. Work with local police, prosecutors, probation officers, and judges and the Domestic Abuse Service Center to meet the needs of all victim/survivor who are depending on the court/criminal justice system for their safety.
Location: Bloomington, Minnesota
Salary: $16.67 – $17.69 Per Hour
Position Type: Full Time
Required Experience: 2 – 5 years
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Date Posted: August 18, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively across all CAS programs
- Attend departmental staff meetings as scheduled
- Provides safety planning sessions and one-to-one meetings with victim/survivors
- Maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor in behavior and dress
- Keep accurate records of all court appearances, phone calls and in-person contacts with and on behalf of the victim/survivors
- Keep abreast of new laws affecting victim/survivor safety
- Provides resources and referrals as needed to help meet victim/survivor needs
- Notify victim/survivors of court orders/appearances/case status
- Provide all relevant information to victim/survivors to facilitate their involvement in every court appearance
- Consults with other members of the legal/criminal justice system and advocate for the protection of the victim/survivors and accountability of offenders within the court/criminal justice system
- Serves as an advocate for victim/survivors in civil court proceedings such as Orders for Protection and Harassment Restraining Order hearings.
- Assists victim/survivor in writing Orders for Protection/Harassment Restraining Orders and amendments and extensions to such orders.
- Trains and supports other staff at CAS in the writing of Orders for Protection/Harassment Restraining Orders and amendments and extensions to such orders
- Serve as an advocate for victim/survivors through the criminal justice process
- Function as a liaison between the victim/survivor and the criminal justice system
- Complete data entry in a timely manner
- Participate on internal CAS committees as assigned
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings
- Provide support and attends CAS events such as Volunteer Recognition and DVAM activities throughout the year
- Support CAS marketing initiatives and promote CAS Mission and Philosophy
- Provide support to a minimum of one Cornerstone fundraising event per year
- Display high ethical/professional standards
- Represent CAS on external committees as assigned
Minimum of Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice, Women’s Studies or related field. Two years of experience providing legal advocacy to victims of domestic assault or other crimes. Knowledge of social service, welfare, mental health and justice systems pertinent to the needs of abused persons. Experience working with diverse populations. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and ongoing proof of automobile insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities and those who may be Deaf/Hard of Hearing, to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use manual dexterity for use of objects, tools or controls as well as visual acuity. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The employee should always request assistance if any object needs to be lifted and the employee feels that their capabilities are such that the specific item to be lifted is beyond the employees abilities. No employee should attempt to lift more than what is comfortable for them. If such a situation should arise the employee should notify their supervisor to find help with lifting any item regardless of weight if the object to be lifted is awkward or difficult to lift in any way.
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, familial or marital status, and/or with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. These statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Cornerstone offers generous wages and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
You can also download Cornerstone’s employment application (PDF) and submit the completed application, resume and cover letter to Jobs@cornerstonemn.org with the job title in the email subject line.
Only applications with a completed form, resume and cover letter will be reviewed.
No agencies; no walk-ins; and no phone calls please. The Jobs@cornerstonemn.org email is only for receiving resumes. No additional information is known about open positions. Qualified applicants will be contacted after resumes are reviewed.