Cornerstone is a $5.4M agency with approximately 90 employees. Our organization serves individuals impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking, with office locations in Bloomington, Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Center.
Cornerstone has developed one of the most comprehensive service continuums for victims of violence in Minnesota. Our services are designed to move individuals and families from crisis to safety, stabilization and security. Last year approximately 4,000 individuals accessed Cornerstone programming. In addition, through Cornerstone’s statewide Day One Crisis and Crime Victim Support lines, we provided services to over 20,000 persons via phone, text and chat. We are committed to providing opportunities for others to partner with us in this work and to convey, as a community, zero-tolerance for violence. (www.cornerstonemn.org)
The purpose of this position is to provide support to the Administrative department within Cornerstone. The position requires a high degree of professionalism, organization skills and attention to detail. Accounting functions will include data entry, account reconciliations, preparing monthly journal entries, audit preparation, budget preparation, reporting, and payroll.
Hours/Schedule: This position will work a regular full-time schedule Monday through Friday. In order to meet funder established due dates, this position may at times be required to work over 40 hours in a week.
Location: Bloomington, Minnesota
Salary: $42,000 Per Year
Position Type: Full Time
Required Experience: Less than 2 years
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Date Posted: May 11, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides data entry as assigned (MIP, ADP, PORT, etc.).
- Tracks information for Cornerstone’s rental properties by recording rent rolls, preparing files for and attending lease signings, and drafting appropriate letters.
- Prepares housing reporting (PORT, Hennepin County, etc.)
- Prepares budgets for contributed revenue (corporations and foundations)
- Prepares budgets for earned revenue (County, Cities, and non-governmental entities)
- Assists in funder audit preparation.
- Provides expense/revenue reporting for County, Cities, and non-governmental entities.
- Provides administrative support and monthly payment reconciliation for clinical billing system/services.
- Processes all credit card donations & payments.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll
- Processes bi-weekly accounts payable as well as manual checks as needed.
- Works closely with General Crime Victim Emergency Fund/General Crime Advocate to validate and process Emergency Crime Victim Funds Applications within the required time.
- Reviews timesheets for accuracy and calculates monthly %’s.
- Reconciles bank statements monthly in MIP.
- Reconciles petty cash monthly.
- Takes lead in organizing accounting and funder files within the organization.
- Creates, formats, types, and revises reports, forms, etc.
- Conducts accounts receivable pledge & benefit account analysis/reconciliation monthly.
- Returns calls to vendors regarding sales, etc.
- Provides on-going communication/coordination with Staff Accountant II position.
- Provides back-up assistance for Staff Accountant II position when cross-trained and assigned.
- Works as a team with other Administrative staff positions, all CAS program staff, and supervisors/managers to ensure all information is up-to-date and accurate.
- Stays apprised of Cornerstone policies and procedures, Administrative activities, process changes and updates, and general information by reviewing, emails, and CAS Connect/TEAMS staff pages.
- Maintains a welcoming, clean, and safe environment.
- Attends all supervisory, program, and All Staff meetings as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Promotes Cornerstone Advocacy Service’s (CAS) mission & philosophy.
- Displays high ethical and professional standards.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through learning, training, and dialog.
- Attends supervision, staff meetings, and trainings as required.
- Participates in internal CAS committees based on interest/assignment and approval by supervisor.
Qualifications and Key Skillsets
- Knowledge of fund accounting, budgeting, and auditing.
- Enthusiasm for learning and commitment to enhancing skills through training, and coaching.
- Ability to work flexible and varied hours to at times include evenings.
- Excellent verbal, written, and in-person communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills and superior knowledge of all MS Office Suite programs
- Accurate reporting skills.
- Excellent planning, organization, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Patience with routine and attention to detail; proactive and process-oriented working style.
- Ability to multi-task, meet pressing deadlines and anticipate needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously.
- Relationship builder; A team player with all departments
A minimum of a Bachelor degree in accounting. Some non-profit experience is preferred. Excellent communication skills, knowledge of Microsoft applications, the ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple projects and deadlines are a must. Knowledge of the MIP accounting system and the ADP payroll system preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Environment: Standard office setting; exposure to computer screens
- Physical: Sufficient mobility to work in an office setting; stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; operate office equipment including use of a computer keyboard. Must be able to lift 30 pounds at a time. The employee should always request assistance if any object needs to be lifted and the employee feels that their capabilities are such that the specific item to be lifted is beyond the employee’s abilities No employee should attempt to lift more than what is comfortable for them. If such a situation should arise the employee should notify their supervisor to find help with lifting any item regardless of weight if the object to be lifted is awkward or difficult to lift in any way.
- Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents.
- Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
To protect employees and participants, Cornerstone require that everyone entering its facilities have on mask, use hand sanitizer, keep social distance, and do temperature checks.
At Cornerstone, we value a rich and diverse employee and volunteer base and are committed to recruiting and retaining individuals of underrepresented backgrounds. We are also committed to creating an inclusive environment and a sense of belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and an affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements and the work that we do at Cornerstone. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, familial or marital status, and/or with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. These statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Cornerstone offers generous wages and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
You can also download Cornerstone’s employment application (PDF) and submit the completed application, resume and cover letter to Jobs@cornerstonemn.org with the job title in the email subject line.
Only applications with a completed form, resume and cover letter will be reviewed.
No agencies; no walk-ins; and no phone calls please. The Jobs@cornerstonemn.org email is only for receiving resumes. No additional information is known about open positions. Qualified applicants will be contacted after resumes are reviewed.