You likely know someone impacted by interpersonal violence—your friend, a neighbor, a colleague, your sister or brother, or perhaps even you. We all have a responsibility to address these violations of human rights. It is important to understand how prevalent the problem is, so that we can work together to advocate, educate and lead the way to social change.
Cornerstone is meeting the needs of people in Hennepin County, providing 50,461 hours of advocacy and support in 2014.
1. National Institute of Justice and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Extent,
Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence: Findings from the National
Violence Against Women Survey.” July 2000.
2. U.S. Department of Justice, Prevalence, Incidence, and Consequences of Violence Against
Women: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey (1998).
3. McDonold, R et al. (2006).“Estimating the Number of American Children Living in Partner
Violent Families.” Journal of Family Psychology,30(1),137-142
Felitti, V.J., Anda, R.F., Nordenberg, D., Williamson, D.F, Spitz, A.M., Edwards, V., Koss,
4. M.P. & Marks, J.S. (1998) “Relationship of Childhood Abuse and Household Dysfunction
to Many of the Leading Causes of Death in Adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences
(ACE) Study” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 14(4).
5. Havelin, K. (2000). Incest ‘Why Am I Afraid To Tell?’ Minnesota; Capstone Press.
6. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice and Statistics, “Intimate Partner Violence in the
United States, 1993-2004.” December 2006.
7. Wolfe, D.A., Wekerle, C., Reitzel, D. and Gough, R. 1995. “Strategies to Address Violence
in the Lives of High Risk Youth.” In Ending the Cycle of Violence: Community Responses
to Children of Battered Women, edited by E. Peled, P.G. Jaffe and J.L Edleson. New York, NY: Sage Publications.
8. Whitfield, C.L., Anda, R.F., Dube, S.R., & Felitti, V.J. (2003). “Violent childhood
experiences and the risk of intimate partner violence in adults.” Journal of Interpersonal
Violence, 18, 166-185.
9. National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. (2003). Costs of Intimate Partner
Violence Against Women in the United States.